Monday, December 10, 2012


Can you think of ten things you are truthfully thankful for?

Things you actually thank God for, or someone you thank on a constant basis because they have helped you so much. Maybe they have even made you who you are today.

The month of November was about thankfulness. Everyone on Facebook was posting things they were thankful for. One thing a day for every day that month. Then I saw a trend: after Thanksgiving most
people stopped posting things they are thankful for. This example just proves how hard it can be to continue being thankful if we do not give ourselves a constant reminder.

There is so much in my life to be thankful for. My newly-found, close relationship with God, my two amazing children, a great family that loves and supports me through everything and an incredible church family, are just a few.

This coming year I will have one more thing to add on that list as well: a home to call my own.

On October 20, I walked to my mailbox to check the mail, as I do every other day. I noticed I had a letter from Loudon County Habitat for Humanity. I was expecting it but didn’t know when it would come. This letter was going to affect a huge part of my family’s life. It told me whether or not we would be receiving the chance to buy our own home, or if we had been found ineligible. I had prayed about it for weeks, since they came to do our home visit (I will explain what that is in a minute). It took me a few minutes to open it because I was so nervous about the outcome. “You have been invited to participate in our program.” It actually took a minute to register that sentence! I was expecting more of a huge red stamp like in the movies, “Approved” or “Denied.” I started literally jumping for joy when I read what it said.

I have told every person who will listen for two seconds that I am able to participate in a program that will help me build my own home with a mortgage my family can afford. I am asked a lot how the process works. Therefore, I have decided to explain it.

The first thing you have to do is fill out an application, and turn it in on the date specified. It might sound easy, but it’s actually more complex than you think. There are a lot of the things Habitat has to go through to find out if you are the right candidate. They ask for a lot of information, but it’s totally worth it, I promise! I always tell people who are thinking about applying to go ahead and apply because, “the worst they can do is say no.” Like I said earlier though, it takes a lot of things to be approved. You have to be financially able to afford a home, have a need for housing and be willing to partner with Habitat. There is a lot of paperwork involved, but don't let that scare you. Habitat has to be sure you are right for the program.

If you pass all of these requirements, they will then decide to do a home visit. This just consists of coming to your home to see where you live, and talk about your living situation. They also talk to you more about the program, and what is expected of you if you are approved.

You then wait for a letter to see if you have been chosen to participate.

Hope this helps with any of the questions you have! If you have any more, leave me a comment, and I will answer it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment