Monday, April 22, 2013


There are so many things I have learned from this experience. One of those things is how important volunteers are to Habitat. Every day I have been on the construction site, there have been more volunteers than anyone else. This week is National Volunteer Week; a time to be thankful for the amazing things volunteers do for families like mine.

I am extremely grateful for all the volunteers I have met during this adventure of building my house. There is one in particular, though, that stands out in my mind because of his constant presence and uplifting personality. His name is Ed Lindler. He was there the first day I volunteered, and has been there every other time since. He volunteers for the program at least 4 days a week. To me, that is amazing! He is retired and instead of sitting at home, or golfing, he is working almost as much as when he got paid for it! He also helps with the Mobile Meals program and with several church ministries.

I think God uses Ed to help families through the program as well. He is always asking me how many sweat equity hours I have. He tells me, “Just keep whittling away at them,” to keep getting a few hours here and there so I can finally be done, and in my new home. I don’t know if he realizes how much those words of constant encouragement mean to families. It keeps me going.

So I just want to say thank you to all of the awesome volunteers, including Ed Lindler, for making this experience of receiving a new home a possibility.

2 comments:

  1. Dylan
    It is great to see someone blogging about housing in Tennessee. We would love to touch base with you about your blog and maybe other opportunities to share your story and speak about housing in Tennessee. Please email me at your convenience.

    Thanks
    Josh Gibson
    Tennessee Housing Development Agency
    Sponsor of Habitat for Humanity of Tennessee
    jgibson@thda.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan
    Your story is a beautiful testimony. It touched me emotionally. I do know how it feels when you want something so badly for your family. Keep giving God the credit and more blessings will come your way.

    ReplyDelete